mercredi 5 septembre 2012

30 under 30. Read Eric's story from Y-PEER Algeria


Born ERIC MUSA LAMPI MULENGA in Zambia  in a family of five to two loving parents. I am currently studying medicine in Algeria.
My passion for public service has been there for many years and I have taken part in  many activities.
My being a medical student  brought me in contact with a lot  of  sick people suffering at times from fatal diseases. And one  disease that has particularly captured my attention is the AIDS pandemic.  All this and the many ills facing society has drawn me to want to do more, to want do something about the problems facing the world today.
Moved by this need to actively participate in making the world a better place, I could no longer wait, I decided to volunteer with an NGO(AIDS ALGERIE) that helps PLHIV,HIV prevention etc,, and once I became a member I was elated to find other capable youths doing their part to make the world a better place.
Now that  I had the platform other than my medical experience to bring about positive change  in regards to the fight against HIV, the next challenge was to see how this could be done. So with the help of a team of highly capable youths I began to actively advocate for religious leaders to take part in the fight against Aids. We began organizing workshops were dialogue and exchange between religious leaders and youths could take place. The main subject of discussions in these workshops included comprehensive sexuality education. And this mainly due to the fact that main health, social and economic challenge facing the world is a result of untimely deaths from AiDS whose main transmission risk is unprotected sex. And we also felt that getting religious leaders to talk openly about AIDS would greatly remove the taboo tag and shame associated to it by society and would as a result help fight the ignorance surrounding AIDS risk transmission and prevention. And what’s more everyone began getting involved.
This level of awareness and response we got from  different sectors of society as result of these efforts gave amazing  results.   Religious leaders and youths are speaking the same language  regarding  sex education and right sex practices. The perception of sex  as a taboo in our society is fast losing its ground and and now youths have access to the right  knowledge  regarding sex practices. One other and equally important  positive that is still being harvested from these efforts is  that the involvement of youth in the fight against Aids  keeps on rising, youths feel part of the solution and are going out encouraging other youths to take part and take the lead in the HIV fight.
With the firm belief that together we can together we must eliminate AIDS , I together with a team of other highly capable youths i continue to do what I can to make the world a better place, a world free from HIV.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More